Monday, August 15, 2011

It's all her fault, she made me do it.

In January I made all this New Year's resolution about paying more attention to my blog.  Looking back, it was probably the kiss of death to my efforts.  Because you know as soon as you say something like that, its like a guarantee that it won't happen.  The cosmos will align themselves just to make an ass out of you.

Divine has been on my case about not blogging in awhile.  I think it's because she likes to read about herself, and somehow it's like peering into mommy's diary.  Except it's not hidden in a nondescript drawer somewhere, but blatantly on the internet.  Which, you would think, would take that whole 'peering' part out of it.  As I type, she sits at the screen staring repeating every word I write.  I wish she paid that much attention when I was actually speaking to her, like when I'm giving directions.

*Lightbulb pops*

Divine, go clean your room!

(Laughter, followed by crickets.)

Divine will probably be a future blogger.  She's the one who waits until everyone is in bed, turns on her light, then writes all night.  She has reams of stories and diary entries she keeps in her little Password Journal she begged me for a few years ago.  See, she *thinks* I don't know.  But staying in bed until 10 the next morning kinda gives her away.  What I see though, is a budding writer.  All the pencils down to the nubs hidden under her mattress testify to her need for expression.  THAT is awesome.

What Divine doesn't realize is that as much as I love writing, time is a finite thing.  When I enrolled my children in cyber school, I also became their teacher.  Their education means more to me than anything in the world.  My house may suffer, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I stand in the way of any doors of opportunity for their future.  But Divine has taught me something precious...that I needed her to give me a swift kick in the ass to realize that blogging also sets an example, that life isn't just about them.  There's a world outside of these walls they need to function in, that won't cater to their every need.  There is also a need for some self-expression and fulfillment.  So today I promised Divine I'd write a post. She smiled so wide I saw her molars.

Divine was recently diagnosed as ADHD.  We started therapy last month, and it has really helped her with a lot of issues.  One of them is valuing herself as an individual.  Perhaps one of the best ways to do that is exemplify it.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Tell Divine that I am very glad she kicked you in the ass and got you writing again.